Welcome back to Oh, My Stars! I know that I have been promising the last blocks for a while but my health has not been good and of course, work always seems to get in the way. I hope that you are able to keep up, especially at this busy pace! I still have a few blocks to catch up with myself, so no worries! I will be posting pictures of these blocks soon but all the directions will be posted even without the pictures. You can also find patterns on EQ or Block Base if you have the program. I was not able to find it at quilterscache.com. If you choose Block Base, either sample is acceptable.
We are now down to the last 5 blocks to make for this quilt.This block is called Sister’s Choice and we will need to make 3 of each block. Just be careful on the triangle placement. It is very similar to a few of the other blocks from earlier but involves a 9-patch in the center.
Cutting Directions: You will need 4 colors, 1 light, 2 dark and a medium, preferably a print to use as contrast.
- From the dark #1, you will need to cut four 1 ¾ inch squares.
- From the print (medium), you will need to cut two 2 inch squares cut in half diagonally to give four triangles.
- From the print (medium), you will also need to cut four 3 ¼ inch x 1 ¾ inch strips. Trim one end at a 45 degree angle.
- From the light (background) cut four 1 ¾ inch squares.
- From the light (background) cut 2 inch squares cut in half diagonally to give 8 triangles.
- From the dark #2, cut five 1 ¾ inch squares.
There are 2 ways to do this block and I am just going to mention the one that works for me, the easiest. The other involves a lot of separate blocks being formed but by doing it my way, it’s a lot less work.
For the center, you will have a 9-patch. Using a dark #1 and a print in the center, form your bottom and top part of the patch. But in the center, you will need to use a dark #2 on the outside and center with a print on the inside. Sew this together as 5 squares to form the center horizontal strip. But do not sew together yet.
Then using the remainder of the half square triangles, form the outside star. Using this method you will not need to cut the ends at an angle.
In summary, you will need to make half square triangles and a 9-patch for the center.
Pictures will be posted later. Thanks for playing along! Will be back this evening with the remaining blocks.