Or should I say how my Maple Leaf blocks morphed.
I went to Quilt in the City sponsored by our guild this past Thursday. I had only planned to stay for Thursday and Friday but I stayed
through Sunday afternoon! I was having such a good time learning new tricks, tips and ideas from the other quilters and made some good friends. This was my first actual quilt retreat and I learned a lot.
A while back, Quilting For All had a lottery for a retreat and I received 30 beautiful blocks. I have had these for a few years but had laid them out in a way I thought was pleasing, and marked row by row.
As I was laying them out on the floor, Diana (a new good friend) saw what I was doing and said, nope, that block doesn’t go there. Use this one. Nope, do it this way. I was a little startled by it, but Diana turned out to be right. Well, we got it laid out. Then, we played with the placement again. It looked great with 4 blocks left over as corner stones. I already had the sashing chosen and was ready to get started on squaring the blocks and sewing them together.
Then, Laura (another new friend) came over. Laura has a special gift of seeing differently and a lot more creatively than the normal quilter. She asked if she could play with my blocks and I said yes. I was happy to get some new ideas. So, after a few changes, this is what we decided on. We had about half the blocks in warm tones and the other half in warm tones, and enough to make 2 different quilts. But that meat that I need to make 9 more blocks in order for it to work in 9 warm color waves. I am still working on those blocks.
Then, I switched to a different project, the Teapot Swap from last year, I think. This was on Thursday evening and I was a little tired. I came back the next morning to this:
My blocks were on a design wall with some pretty coordinating fabric, thanks again to Diana.
Here are some pictures of other projects that others were working on:
Thanks for dropping by!