Hello and welcome back to Oh, My Stars!
Here are the next 2 installments for our quilt, Pinwheels and Barbara F. (also known as Pieced Star). I did look at quilterscache.com but the blocks that I am making are not exactly what I had in mind and have a little different twist to them. Both of these blocks use all half square triangles which is fairly easy, but you have to watch the placement of your triangles or you might wind up with a different version. As usual, the blocks should measure 6.5 squared and I have been using stash from my 10 inch square bin. Funny, I thought I would be able to use a lot of my squares up but it doesn’t seem to have made much of an impact. I seem to have more than when I started. I was hoping that my blocks would match by making 2 of each from the same fabrics, but I had to change it on one block as I have a favorite background that I use a lot and I finally ran out of it. Remember, you will need to make 2 of each block. We are now on the fourth block that needs 2 of each and we have 5 more sets to make of 2 each. After this, we will have 5 more blocks, three will need 3 of each and the last 2 will require 4 of each block. As I will be on a retreat this weekend, there won’t be a block until Sunday, June 9th.
Due to some errands that needed to be taken care of this afternoon, I was unable to finish the fourth block as promised but it will be ready tomorrow evening. I will be out of town for most of the day visiting relatives.
Now for the Pinwheels Block. You will need 3 colors, bright, light and a dark background. Here are the colors I chose: At first glance when going through my stash, I never would’ve chosen these to go together, but actually they play nicely together. A nice surprise!
1. From the dark background, you will need to cut four 2 inch squares.
2. From the dark background, you will also need 2.25 inch squares, cut in half for a total of 4 triangles.
3. From the medium color, you will need four 2.25 inch squares, cut in half diagonally for 8 triangles.
4. From the light color, you will need six 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for 12 triangles.
Here is a picture of the block before being sewn together: As I said before, it is all just half square triangles and 4 squares, but be careful on the placement!
And now for block 14, Barbara F. or Pieced Star:
For this block you will need 5 different colors, 2 light colors and 3 darker or bright colors. If you look closely at the Pinwheel block, it is very similar, except you do not use any squares. All triangles.
Here are the colors I chose:
1. Starting with the beige background, you will need six 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for a total of 12 blocks.
2. From the light blue background, you will need two 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for a total of 4 blocks.
3. From the light green, you will need two 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for a total of 4 blocks.
4. From the dark or bright color 1, you will need you will need two 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for a total of 4 blocks.
5. From the dark or bright color 2, you will need two 2.25 inch squares cut in half diagonally for a total of 4 blocks.
Here is a picture of the block before being sewn together:
And my finished blocks will be posted tomorrow as I need to recharge my camera battery.
Thank you for playing along and I will see you back on June 9th with the next installment!